Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Carol Dworkin bio

After eight years of writing and editing in Ottawa, Toronto and Quebec City (on subjects as varied as travel, forestry, federal prisons, nursing and cities), I followed my husband to Tempe, Arizona for his first university teaching job. With a master's degree and toddler four years later, I followed him again–-to Ann Arbor. Freelancing for the Ann Arbor News, and once for the Observer, as well as doing volunteer PR for a professor at UM-Dearborn, got me back into the work I missed. My volunteer work ended up helping the most. Two years as information officer at the Dearborn campus led to a new job there developing workshops for small businesses. And that led me off track–-into corporate fundraising on the Ann Arbor campus. After seven years of raising money from companies in the midwest, I eagerly jumped at the chance to set up and direct a development office for a nonprofit in early childhood education, headquartered in Ypsilanti, High/Scope Educational Research Foundation. Some two-plus years later, I again followed my husband, this time to Seville, Spain, where he directed a UM program. Finally I was forced to learn Spanish! It wasn't a great career move, but it sure was a chance to get to know Spaniards in Andalucia, travel throughout the Iberian Peninsula and beyond to Morocco and Gibraltar. I should have been writing the whole time, but I was focused on learning the language and customs, making friends from various parts of the world, entertaining visitors....

Gradually in the years since, I have moved from fundraising back to writing and editing. I've done a lot of reinventing of myself, but one thing I can say for sure: my life as a fundraiser is behind me. I haven't lost the urge to sniff out stories wherever I am, so maybe there's hope that I will again see myself, and be seen, as a writer.

No comments: